Hugo Harvey & Jake Honeywill project 2 week 1

To further develop our arduino flower we want to refine the mechanism and code to allow a better more fluid motion. Another target is to create a more flower like aesthetic by using different materials and making techniques such as the use of fabric and 3D printing.

 

img_0152

 

our initial adaption to the existing model is to add a 3D printed ‘O’ ring around the servo. The addition of this ‘O’ ring means that we can increase the amount of pivot points, and thus the number of petals, with ease creating a more flower like shape. In terms of the petals to steer away from the ‘claw’ shape the best option in our opinion is to CAD and 3D print parts.  After considering the mechanism we want to keep it pretty much the same although changing the metal connecting bars to fishing wire so a more fluid motion is obtained.

Advertisements

Week 5: physical computing, Hugo Harvey, Jake Honeywill

IMG_0134.JPG

After sketching out concepts and doing some work in rhino we were confident enough to go straight into our final model. First of all we tried to complete the coding side of the design by adapting an existing one we found on the internet. The code and arduino board setup allowed us to get a given rotation (90 degrees) from a servo in response to light intensity.

 

IMG_0137.JPG

The next stage was to make the model. we started with a simple square base and then cut out slots to allow the leaves to pivot freely on metal rods. After the base was completed the next stage was to build the pivots and ‘leaf arm’ these 4 items would then be fixed into the slots in the base to allow the leaf to open and close. Thirdly was the task of attaching the ‘leaf arms’ to the servo to do this metal rods were connected to form a linkage and transfer the rotation of the servo to the movement of the leaves. Finally the leaves were made from foam and then stuck on to the leaf arms.

IMG_0135.JPG