After sketching out concepts and doing some work in rhino we were confident enough to go straight into our final model. First of all we tried to complete the coding side of the design by adapting an existing one we found on the internet. The code and arduino board setup allowed us to get a given rotation (90 degrees) from a servo in response to light intensity.
The next stage was to make the model. we started with a simple square base and then cut out slots to allow the leaves to pivot freely on metal rods. After the base was completed the next stage was to build the pivots and ‘leaf arm’ these 4 items would then be fixed into the slots in the base to allow the leaf to open and close. Thirdly was the task of attaching the ‘leaf arms’ to the servo to do this metal rods were connected to form a linkage and transfer the rotation of the servo to the movement of the leaves. Finally the leaves were made from foam and then stuck on to the leaf arms.