JOE TAPSON, LAURENCE OSBORNE BLOG 4

This week we focused on the general refinement of our first prototype. After discussion, we concluded that servos would be impractical due to their torque output being too high for the movement of the device. We concluded with using DC motors and wheels, however, this in turn caused more issues to arise.

img_1185

Firstly, we needed to reduce friction in the 3 main pivots, which was achieved with minor adjustments and higher component quality. Finally, we installed small feet on the segments to constrain the movement within a certain bracket. This was necessary as the direction of the driving force of the motor needed to not go through the pivot.

We were also given an ‘Infra Red Obstacle Avoidance’ sensor to allow us to code the device so that it would not collide with physical objects as well as change its speed accordingly.

img_1190

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s