We were given a brief to make an Arduino controlled project where we had a minimum of 1 input and 2 outputs. I decided to make something that could be used in the household environment on a daily basis and something that hopefully i could use once completing the project.
So with that in mind i thought… curtains. A gadget to open and close curtains.
To begin with i looked at curtains that would open and close at a set time, maybe synced with an alarm. But then thought that it would be nice to implement something where the user/viewer could see something happening prior the curtains opening. With this i finally had an idea, and decided at simulating the Sun rising and setting, to which then opened and closed the curtains.
The next step was to look at components needed to make this project happen;
Servo ( LED attached)
LDR to sense the light
Motor to open/close curtains
H bridge for the motor to rotate 2 ways
After getting all the components working separately i thought great… I’m on a roll. Well apparently not! I put all the coding together and that is where it started to go down hill. There were a few issues regarding power and after trying to fix it multiple times i had to hand what i had as it was. And with that in the end, did not have enough time to make a jig. Sooo… seeing that i left the project unfinished and feeling bummed, i thought well… I have a 2nd chance to make it work on the next project.